After our perfect week in the Black Hills last year, Dave and I thought we would make a tradition out of it. So, we packed up the car, the baby, and the dog (boy was the car full...we will need another option for next year's trip) and hit the road. Sullivan was an absolute champ on the drive out, we stopped once in Chamberlain and didn't have to stop again until Rapid City. What a relief, I had a bit of anxiety about the 6 hour drive.
We spent the week in full relaxation mode. We read, walked Kenzie, and played with Sully. Dave was such a good sport, it seemed Sully never really did change time zones (the cabin we stayed at is in the in the Mountain Time Zone). He got up with him every morning, and even took the night feedings every night Sully had one. Seriously, what a deal for me. Dave borrowed a pack made for hiking with kids and he and Sully hiked part of Pikes Peak and all of Raspberry Hill. We had intentions of a Spearfish Canyon walk, but by the time we arrived, it started to rain. Big bummer. Dave and Kenzie still got a wet walk in, but Sully and I stayed back and goofed around in the car.
Our last fully day there was on Friday and we were determined to get a few photos of our family, so we walked over to the Mickelson Trail which is about 1/2 mile from the cabin (this was after we let a rain storm run its course). We made our way to a pretty remarkable bridge about 2 miles from the cabin and started taking self times photos. Sully was a champ, Kenzie was difficult (pretty standard) and it appeared the clouds were thickening up. I looked up and said, "one more, I'm afraid we are going to get rained on, we would be in trouble." I took one last photo, and decided I wanted one more (this is also pretty standard), as I pushed the button it read 'memory card full.' No! And then the rain came. We bolted. Tucked Sully in as far as we could and covered his stroller with a blanket and started a brisk jog. (Those of you know me, I hope you are getting a chuckle out of this.) I didn't make it far, I sent Dave and Sully on and continued at my comfortable pace. We all made it home safe and sound, changed out of our wet clothes, lit a fire, and watched the rain come down. It was very cozy from
inside the cabin.
The drive home was pretty slick as well, Sully didn't sleep quite as much, but he did as well as expected. We stopped in Wall and then again in Mitchell to see my Grandpa. We had a nice visit and made it back to Sioux Falls by about 5pm. What a day, what a trip. We are already looking forward to next year.
 |
| The first of many stroller rides. |
 |
| Sully, fresh out of the shower. |
 |
| The view from Sully's room. |
 |
| A tired out puppy dog. |
 |
| Dave and Sullivan at Sylvan Lake. |
 |
| Family photo on the Pike's Peak hike. |
 |
| Kenz, doing her thing. |
 |
| Afternoon walk. |
 |
| Mickelson Trail, moments before the rain came. |
No comments:
Post a Comment