I have spent most the last week reflecting on the past year. There have been many great joys and sorrows, tears of happiness, just plain tears, vacations, adventures, and growth. I have been able to reconnect with old wonderful friends, in spite of my new side kick, something I am so grateful for. I have spent the majority of the year with friends and family, the people who know me better than I know myself sometimes. I am so thankful for all of these experiences.
I feel as though I have been given everything I could have asked for. I was pregnant for the first half of the year. Although some of those days seemed never ending, at the end, we were given this beautiful perfect little boy. I didn't anticipate it at the time, but that little boy would insist on nightly (at least once) dates with me until just this last week. I was unable to let him 'cry it out,' I just couldn't stand to see him sad, in fact, I still cant. I may be creating a monster by spoiling him with my time and attention, but I just cant get enough of him. By having Sullivan, I made Dave a father at the ripe young age of 50. Although I cannot believe he is 50, I can. He has a level of maturity that I don't even have. He is so good with Sullivan, he loves him so much, and Sully has no idea what kind of brightness he has brought to his daddy's life. Dave has dealt with a lot of loss and sadness in his years, and I feel like Sullivan's personality holds just the opposite amount of joy and happiness. It is like Dave has turned the corner, and all that is left for him are good things. I love Dave so much, and I am so thankful for a great man and a great marriage. I have such a feeling of peace.
We were lucky enough to take a few vacations before and after Sullivan's arrival. I was able to get a few girls weekends out of the year with a little help from Maggie and Lauren...I owe them a million thank yous. It was nice to get away and to spend time with the friends who mean so much to me, but it is so great to get home, too. I enjoyed a quick, but very fulfilling weekend to Minneapolis with Maggie and my mom, something that I will cherish for years to come (cherish your mother, says the woman in Hawaii, remember, mom?!) Well, I do just that. With the passing of her mother in November, we were quickly reminded of just how fragile and valuable our relationship is. She is quite the woman and we are lucky to have her in such good health, and such a short drive away.
Most of our days are spent with the Olivers. Although Sullivan's arrival has made it a bit harder to get up and go, he has not put a damper on my relationship with Isaac and Anna (and their mama), my favorite little 4 and 2 year old in the world. Isaac is so good to Sully, sitting him up in his lap and letting him watch him play the DS, dancing around him, or just snuggling him. Anna has not been quite as easy to transition, but she has definitely come around. She and Sullivan facetime most mornings. Sullivan always gets the biggest grin on his face when he sees Isaac and Anna. We are so lucky for these relationships. Having a twin (sister) is one of the best things that has ever happened to me.
I only have a couple of resolutions for the New Year, although they are not huge, I hope they are life changing. I will nurture and treasure my relationships with my friends and family, I will do my best to not take them for granted. And, I will make more time for my nuclear family. Dave and I spent Saturday night eating take out sushi and watching a movie. That was the best night we had in weeks, I plan to schedule one of those in at least biweekly (hope he is on board)!
Last, but not least, Sullivan is 7 months old today. Below is a picture of him, right now as he naps. Kenzie, close by like usual.
| Life at the Munce's |
Happy New Year, everyone, I hope this year is just as good as the last (maybe even better)!
No comments:
Post a Comment