To start this entry off on a positive note, Ill start with the fun part. Last Thursday, Dave and I had the best date night. We went to The Goodnight Theatre Collective cabaret after dinner at Bread and Circus and had so much fun. The show was called Dudes Sing the Divas and it was so entertaining. It is definitely going to be on our to do list next year.
We got home from the show around 10 and hit the pillows hard after a few glasses of wine. Much to our surprise and panic, our fire alarm went off at midnight. Unfortunately, our control panel in our bedroom wasn't working, so the only way we could silence it was at the panel by the garage door which is downstairs. I immediately popped up and told Dave to get the kids while I ran downstairs and when I got down there I heard him coming down and the kids upstairs screaming so I ran back up and reminded him to get the kids. Because there were no immediate signs of fire, I went into my room to put more clothes on as I knew the firemen were on their way. While I was putting sweat pants on I heard this massive thud, and then Sully's screams. Dave had slipped in the mad rush to get everyone to safety and the commotion woke Sully up. We made our way outside and the firemen came and gave us the all clear and we chalked it up to a false alarm. Needless to say, we were so angry and tired and the kids were terrified and that was when Dave realized he was in so much pain and that his fall (down the stairs) resulted in broken ribs. It wasn't until the next day that he realized he had also broke a toe.
We laid back down for bed with the kids piled on me and Dave in the other room so he could hopefully get some rest and within a few minutes the alarm started to go off again, and again, and again. It was maddening. I finally called the alarm company and asked them to get over here to shut the whole thing down, which happened around 1am.
The following morning, someone from the company came over to restart the system and couldn't find any reason for the drama. Back to normal we go...until 5:20pm when the darn thing started alarming again, over and over and over again. We had another visit from the firemen who did a once over since they were here. And wouldn't ya know, they found it. We had so much condensation from the humidity in our attic that it shorted out a smoke detector. Seriously, all the commotion and drama and we did get to the bottom of it, but we haven't figured out how to remedy the problem quite yet, hopefully this week...
Dave is on the mend, although it has been a long week for him. The kids have been playing 'fire alarm' on multiple occasions this week. One of them does the siren while the other says 'fire fire fire' and the other one says, 'lets get out of here!'. Its actually pretty funny. Piper asked the day after the drama when the firemen would be coming that day and wanted to know if I thought the firemen would like the outfit she picked out. Oh, and then there is the gouge out of the wall on the stairway where Dave's phone caught the wall and then slid the entire way down. My initial thought was to get our painter over here to repair it, but now that we have some distance from the incident, I think we will keep it, its a good reminder of some of the things we go through together. Fingers crossed for a quiet rest of the summer.
Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the drama, it just goes to show how dramatic it actually was since I didn't have a chance to pull out my phone ;). Im just thankful we are all ok - someday we will get a kick out of all of this.
No comments:
Post a Comment