Dave and I devised a plan of putting balloons into a large balloon and having the color combos reveal the results. All white balloons meant we were identical, a combo of black and grey meant we were fraternal. Dave made the phone call to put in the balloon order so I could be surprised with Maggie, and then I waited again, for 48 more hours before finding out the results, no big deal ;).
So, the big questions:
"Do the results really matter?" I've been asked this numerous times. It seems like a logical question, but the answer is so complicated. No, the results don't really matter, but in the pit of my stomach, I sure hope we are identical. We are so close; our looks, personality, hearts, voices, and our taste in most things. We are just so similar. We are constantly in conversation. Wether it is via txt or a phone call if there is too much to txt. I'd be ok with fraternal, too, I don't have a choice. Would I be let down? Maybe. But it will still be fun to finally know.
"Is there even a question? You have to be identical!" This a really common one. Another version is, "you have to be, I'm 99.9% certain you are." That's exactly how I feel! But, we have never officially been told that we are, so that .1% poses a huge question, not necessarily in a bad way, it just keeps me guessing.
I've always been so proud of our story. My mom had pregnancy complications early in their marriage. My parents always planned on adopting, so they got that ball rolling, and started our family with Alex, Sam, and Liz. And then the surprise twin pregnancy with two placentas vs one which is why her doctors determined we were fraternal. But our similarities were so uncanny which caused us to question that label. Now that's a good story! A unique story for a unique family. I have to give my efficient mom props. Five kids with one pregnancy, now that is one way to achieve the big family she always wanted.
So our story is changing a little bit, Ive already told some people the new version of our old story and the best part is that the new version is even cooler than the old (fore site not intended).
The results:
After a family bowling party we gathered at Maggie's for pizza and cake. I brought the balloon out and told Maggie what the balloon held. She was quiet, almost speechless, and the one in charge of popping the balloon. We did a quick survey of our family (we were happy to have 100% attendance, including my parents via FaceTime), and all of them thought that with no question, we were identical. It was finally time to pop!
| Posing with the balloon. |
| "One, two, THREE!" |
| The best photo! IDENTICAL! |
| The aftermath. |
| A quick chat with our parents. My mom's initial reaction "That was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen!" |
And here is the live version: https://youtu.be/SATo6crSiGo
There you have it...identical!
So, does it change things? I don't think so, but what it did for me was make me feel an even closer bond to Maggie. Kind of like our relationship was recharged. I read the letter the following morning and it states 'you and your twin are genetically the same.' Seriously, how amazing is that? Its no doubt we have our differences, but we are literally one egg that split. Oh, and not to mention our kids! They are genetically half siblings. How wild is that?
| Maggie and I with our kids. |
| More photo fun. |
| Oh yes, the cake with 37 candles. I can't think of a more special way to turn 37 on 3/7. |
|
So there you have it. The story of our very own journey. Im so thankful to have Maggie as my best friend and to know she is literally my other half.
No comments:
Post a Comment