Dave and I decided the year Sully was born that we wanted him (and the girls) to go to the Spanish Immersion school. It was initially located in the eastern part of town and was part of a district school, but as interest grew, the city was able to open a school completely dedicated to immersion. The new location happens to be in the footprint of Dave's childhood school and there is no longer a waiting list, the school currently does a lottery. Since Sully has a summer birthday, we were able to enter the drawing for the 2017 year and have a choice to defer. If we didn't get in, we could try again next year. We worked the system, and enrolled him knowing we will wait until 2018 to actually send him. Dave was on call the night of the lottery, so Maggie came along to support me. The lottery was very straightforward, they simply drew names from a large bowl full of names. The first 57 names were 'in' and the next 44 would be on the waiting list. Nerves ran high, but MUCH to our delight, Sully was number 28! Yay, such a relief. We are so excited about the opportunities and for our household to become bilingual. It will be awesome to hear our kids speaking in Spanish to each other at the dinner table (since he was accepted, Greta and Piper are automatically 'in').
On the Saturday following his acceptance, I participated in the Woman's March in Sioux Falls with my mom and some of her friends. It was an incredible and empowering experience as more than 3,000 men, women, and children turned out for the event. It was so cool to see neighbors, coworkers, and friends in the crowd. Walking with my mom was the best part of it all. Her vision and voice is something I'm proud to be part of. I marched for me and for my kids and their future. No matter what they chose in life, I will be proud, I'm already proud. I'm grateful for a husband who will support them and myself in our choices. Above all, I want Sully, Greta, and Piper all to have a fair shot, I want equality.
 |
| The official acceptance letter. |
 |
| A perfect photo of all three. |
 |
| sisters |
 |
| Women's March. |
 |
| Selfie with my mama. |
 |
| Our crew. |
 |
| My mom, me, and my aunt Jo. |
No comments:
Post a Comment