Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Roughing it and someone got some bling!

We gave Dave a tent for his birthday and the rest of any camping supplies you may need for Father's Day the following month. Ever since, he has been plotting the first perfect camping experience with Sully. June was way too wet and busy, as was the early part of July. So they finally, finally go to camp this last Saturday.

Pitching the tent was hilarious. The kids were so excited with the new 'toy' in the yard. They were crawling in and out and all over each other. Needless to say, this was kind of a handicap for Dave, the mission was ultimately accomplished.

We came in to put Greta down and to watch some TV with Sully until about 9 when Dave was ready to take him out to read stories and head to bed. Let me set the scene: a very muggy and humid night, a full (extra bright) moon, lots of bugs, Hot Harley Nights going on downtown (about one mile from us), an AC/DC cover band squealing until 11:30 (also downtown), and a really excited, curious, rambunctious two year old. Wow, I had it easy compared to Dave. We kept in touch via text throughout the night. I was inside doing laundry and other things and would pop out to the deck off our bedroom every half hour or so. It never failed, I would hear giggles and squeeks, every time, until about 11:30. I texted Dave numerous times giving him the 'ok' to come back in whenever. He would reply and say how great they were doing, and how Sully was in great spirits. It's no secret that Dave has more patients than I do, but if there was ever any question, the camping experience proves it. I would have thrown in the towel long before Dave did.

Once Dave was able to get Sully to fall asleep, he did great except for one short period at 3am when we jumped up to point out the moon. Dave acknowledged it and then snuggled him in. They came in around 7:30 for breakfast, and just like that, they are now campers. Dave is anxious to do it again, lucky for me :).

In other (super, great, awesome) news, my older sister, Liz got engaged on Sunday evening! She has the kindest heart and best sense of humor and I'm excited that she has met her match. She and Matt plan to get married next summer. Congrats, guys! I smile just thinking of you two.
Tent assembly with the help of Sully and Greta. 
Greta Girl trying it out. 
Sully, excited for what lies ahead. 
Story time in the tent. 
Matt and Liz, congrats! 

No comments:

Post a Comment