Its quite a remarkable story, really...it started probably the same year Dave and I got married. We would walk the neighborhood and pick and choose which homes we would love to own. I was much less picky, and in the end, we only agreed on about three. We would walk and talk and wonder how these homeowners were so lucky... what did they do to end up with these one of a kind homes in this one of a kind neighborhood. Fast forward a couple of years and a baby. Dave happened to catch wind that one of our three agreed upon homes would be for sale in the near future...so what do we do with that information? Do we knock on the door? Nope, to aggressive. Do we call them? Nope, to impersonal. I know, Ill write a letter! I'll make a connection (like that fact the homeowner taught Dave in med school), cross our fingers, and pray that what is meant to be will be. That was in November, I got a call from the homeowner who confirmed the rumor and said we would be added to the list, we were one of four couples who had shown interest. We were thrilled, but knew it was not a done deal. When I found out I was pregnant in February, I panicked, worried our home would burst at the seams. Not Dave, he remained cool, calm, and collected and encouraged me to remain patient. So, I did, as hard as that was at times, I remained patient. We got the call on Memorial Day that we were welcome to come for a look and have not looked back since. Two of the other couples backed out and it was down to just two of us. Fortunately, the asking price was right in our comfortable range, and we accepted as is, no questions asked. The other couple had a few stipulations and ultimately, the homeowners chose us.
We have had lots of ups and downs in the last few weeks waiting for things to pan out, there have been some anxious times, exciting times, nerve wracking times, but above all, the experience is one that neither Dave or I will soon forget. The current homeowners have been in the house for 43 years and after we signed papers today, our handshakes turned into hugs, all of our eyes filled with tears. All kinds of tears, tears of joy and excitement from us, tears of sadness and closure from the homeowners, tears of relief, sadness, and closure from the homeowner's daughter who has been helping to facilitate along the whole process, and tears of hunger from Sully ;)(who, by the way, has been our secret weapon throughout the process).
We feel so honored to be the chosen family. The house was built in 1922 and we will be the fourth owners. There is some work we plan to do, but we have vowed to each other that we will respect the history of the home and make sure all of the changes we make reflect that. We will do some cosmetic work right away and focus on the big picture long after the baby is born.
While will miss our current perfect little home, but feel so good about what we are going to, and we will only be a few blocks away.
Life is good.
| The letter. I took a photo of this before I sent it with intentions of framing it and hanging it in our dream kitchen :). |
| Dave making it official. |
| Soon to be home, sweet home. |
No comments:
Post a Comment