Friday, November 30, 2018

Thankful for St. Louis, Stacy, turkey, meatballs, and Brookings.

Greta and I embarked on our annual St. Louis trip to see Stacy and the kids. November 16th marked 5 years since Dave's death, and so much has happened. I spent a lot of time reflecting on those years. I remember bringing Greta as this little newborn, sometimes I would lucky enough to get an empty seat next to me and her little body was so tiny on those trips. I had it all down, the baby carrier and the carry on and only what I needed to make the trip. Now she is 5, and drinking apple juice, coloring in her books and carrying her own carry on (sometimes).

We had a great trip, Greta was completely consumed with Sam, she was basically her shadow. She ate everything she ate and wore clothes that looked like Sam's and played games over and over again. she was in heaven. We spent the afternoon at the Magic House and went for pizza and brought a meal to the local fire station for the first responders in honor of Dave. It was a full and fun weekend.

We came home in time to prep for Thanksgiving which we hosted here this year. Unfortunately Dave had to work, but we managed without him. My mom and Maggie were my right and left hands and the kids played together so well, I was actually able to sit and eat and enjoy some conversations. My mom stayed late to help me clean up and that was the icing on the cake. A solid hour or two of one on one time. Its funny how you still crave that as an adult. She is always so complimentary of the day, the spread, and everything else, but it is because of her that I love that part of entertaining. She is classic and gourmet and fancy and timeless, all it seems, without effort.

We continued the holiday with a quick trip to Brookings to hit the Children's Museum when Dave got home from work on Friday. We made it extra special by staying over night at a hotel with a pool. The kids had a great time, we swam and went out for dinner, hit the vending machine (which the kids loved), and watched a hotel movie. It was a great day.

Finally, we capped off the holiday with Helensgiving at our house. We brought Helen over and celebrated with most of Dave's family on Sunday with spaghetti and meatballs and chocolate sauce for dessert. I made SO much food and we finished 90% of it. I wish I could have frozen time. People were gathered all around playing cards, chatting with Helen, listening to music, it was a lovely evening.

Needless to say, all of this excitement landed me with pneumonia. Way too much fun. Fortunately I am finally on the mend.

Reunited and quickly warming up to the Winters. 
Stacy and I went to an OAR concert which was amazing. 
Firestation tour. 
Saying 'see you next time!'
Dinner date in MSP. 
Selfie with my girl. 
Thanksgiving crew. 
Thanksgiving with my crew.
Brookings. 
Hearts all around. 
Helensgiving - terrible photos, but we are all there! 
Sweet Piper, sound asleep (in our bed).
Note the drool spot ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment