Dave rented a storage garage when his parents' house was bought, then later demolished by Sandford Health. It was easier to move the house stuff there, rather than go through it at that time as he was also dealing with moving his mom. Unfortunately, he did this on his own as both his dad and sister were already gone. Fast forward eight years, a couple of moves and a couple of kids later, the time had come. It had definitely turned in to a catch all space for stuff when there was no where else to put it.
We started the project about six weeks ago. Courtney (our number 1 babysitter/lifesaver) would come over during nap time and we would change into our dingiest clothes and head over. Fortunately, the storage garage, the dumpster (at Culligan), and Good Will are within about a one mile radius. Dave would sort while I made runs as needed. We purged so much. There were the funny, no brainers, like a plunger, but there were also boxes that required much more love and attention, like cards from Juile, or notes Helen had written when her mind was still good.
Like Pete the Cat says, 'buttons come and buttons go,' although I recognize it is not always that easy. I do understand and appreciate some level of sentiment. In fact, I am even a bit sentimental at times, although I hate to admit that. For example, I urged Dave to get rid of a holey shirt for a long time, not getting why he hadn't purged it. I then looked though some photos and realized it was the shirt he wore for the births of both kids. I layed off.
We are finally done with the storage garage project. It was great to sweep it out and close the door. Yes, two full carloads came home to our garage which, by the way, will have to be emptied in two months for the next phase of renovation...what are we going to do with all of this stuff!!? I get anxiety just thinking about it. Everything will find it's place, eventually.
 |
| Mid August, early in the project. |
 |
| Early September. |
 |
| Mid September |
 |
| Mid September. |
 |
| The final day, Sept 15th. |
One of the troubles I ran into when trying to clean an old basement and garage out was being too sentimental. I wanted to keep a lot of things because they had been around forever. Finally, I realized the "old stuff" really had no real value. It was junk! I realized my folly and finally started to clean out all that junk. A lot of accident hazards were eliminated and, yes, a gained a lot more storage space when things were finally done.
ReplyDeleteMachelle Ledoux @ Total Garage Repair
What an amazing job, Nice work on sticking with it and getting it done. Looks great!
ReplyDeletehttps://maximumcleaning.com/trash-removal-nj/
Sorry you had to do all that hard labor. My wife and I recently cleaned out our storage unit that we have had for the last 20 years. It was a real mission to get rid of some of the old furniture and give the rest away to charity. All of it were worth it, though!
ReplyDeleteGiovanni @ Coastal Contract Hardware