Monday, January 4, 2021

Christmas and NYE 2020

It was certainly a different Christmas this year with limited group gatherings, no fancy parties, and a basically empty December calendar. As much as I missed the extra outings, being home suited us just fine. It was a stark contrast to last year's holiday. 

We gathered at my parents as families one on one which was fun. The kids missed the cousin chaos, but I appreciated the quiet conversation around the dinner table. I do feel that is one thing Covid has provided us, more intentional dinners with my parents. I will forever cherish those conversations around their kitchen table. We exchanged small gifts and the kids played their piano pieces for them and we called it a night.

Christmas Eve was quiet, prep for Christmas day. We did go to visit Julie's grave. I had this great idea of cutting out a branch from our tree to put on her grave. Another way for us to feel like she is part of our celebration. The kids loved it and it will definitely be a new favorite tradition. 

Christmas morning started at 4:51am. Sully busted into our room, exclaiming it was Christmas morning. He was so excited, and although I was mad at the time, I catch myself giggling now at the hilarity of it. That sweet, innocent, burst-at-the-seams enthusiasm to see if Santa came and to open and discover if you got what you were hoping you would get. Much to their delight, they got everything they wanted, and more. 

My brother and his family and sister and her family came over for a happy hour and games and we fell into bed by 10pm, exhausted. 

We laid low for a few days and then met Maggie's fam and my friend Jamie and her family in Okoboji for New Years Eve. We had a great time, the kids each had a built in buddy, we swam, played, ice skated, watched movies, and played some more. It was definitely a fun way to end the holiday break. 

Visiting Julie's grave. 

Santa came! 

Ready for Christmas!

So excited to give Daddy his gifts. 

Christmas chaos. 

High Tea

Champagne toast. 

Christmas Cheers. 

A perfect sledding day.

Ice skating in Okoboji. 

Full on Christmas break mode. 

NYE crew. 

The adults. 

No comments:

Post a Comment