Monday, July 6, 2020

My bike injury.

It happened so fast, one minute we are cruising down the sidewalk, the next, I'm in fighting tears while trying to maintain my composure.

We were on our way to piano lessons, and it was my idea to bike the 1/2 mile over to David's house. Of course we were running late and I was encouraging the kids to KEEP MOVING while I was pulling Piper in the Burley behind Dave's bike, which is just a little too tall for me. The kids came to an abrupt stop in front of me and I tried to break while hopping off and after the third hop on my tip toe, I knew something bad had happened. I fought tears and thought I was going to throw up all at while trying to make it to piano lessons on time. We made it and as soon as I stepped off my bike, I was in agony. I got the kids situated and tried to collect myself but Piper had to go potty, so I had to ride her home, I cried the whole way. I couldn't step without crying and made my way to the couch where I stayed with a concerned Piper until Dave and Maggie got home to get me into the car and to the ER.

After a short time, I was in a room and given IV pain meds and was feeling slightly better. The ER doctor did an ultrasound and diagnosed me with a partially ruptured Achilles' Tendon. I was devastated, non-weight bearing for weeks and possible surgery. All of our summer plans were over. I made my way home on crutches in a splint. Maggie was home with the kids and they were so sad when I walked in the door. So curious about the crutches and poor Sully was so worried.

I had a terrible night of sleep and our Orthopedic Surgeon friend saw me the next morning at 8:30am and quickly corrected the diagnosis as a torn Gastrocnemius muscle. I needed a boot and about 2 weeks to heal. This was the best news.

I used the crutches and laid very low for a few days and wore the boot for the first week, but then I started to back off and I'm about 95% today (two weeks after the accident). I still feel a little pain in the muscle from time to time, but I'm back to bootcamp (with some modifications), and walking normal.

What a whirlwind!
ER visit after some meds. 
 
Summer legs :)
Cards from the kids. 
My sweet Sully. 
Homemade flowers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment