Sunday, May 19, 2019

Mother's Day weekend.

It was a lovely Mother's Day weekend, it seems like each year it gets a bit sweeter. I think its a combination of the kids growing up a bit and their personalities shining through, I feel more pride for what we have going on around here. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely loads of challenges, but it is nice to have one day where I can use "no whining on Mother's Day" over and over again.

Each year on the Saturday before Mother's Day, Avera hosts a running event. Until this year, it was called the 'Race Against Breast Cancer,' but the name changed this year to include all cancers and the turn out was incredible. Between the walk and run, I think the number of registrants surpassed 6k. Last year was my first time participating in the running portion and I ran again this year. I felt so much stronger this year. I had done minimal running training, but have been going to bootcamp since January and it totally paid off. I beat my last year's time by two minutes and kept my average pace under 10 minutes, and that was a major victory for me. My runners high lasted for about 48 hours. Im so proud of myself, and of Maggie who pulls it together each year to run with me.

Mother's Day was spent catching up on odds and ends and then we hosted a small gathering here for my family. We had park plans but they fell through due to the weather. The boys prepared, hosted, and cleaned before they left and I have to say, it wasn't all that bad. I was happy to spend the day with my family and my own little family, it feels good to be surrounded by so much love.

The kids made my sign for me the night before. 
My crew, before the race. Me, Maggie, and Talia. 
Action shot. 
Maggie and I at the finish line. 

Mother's Day armful 2019. 

No comments:

Post a Comment