The day arrived and both Sully and Greta were giddy. As soon as we walked in and met the instructor, Greta started to complain of an upset tummy (I immediately remembered her nervous stomach), she fought tooth and nail to hold back huge crocodile tears. I was shocked as she was the excited one and the one to rally Sully. Fortunately Sully had volunteered to go first, so I had some time to work on Greta's confidence. He and the instructor strolled off to find some toys and Greta looked at me and said she was going to get sick and literally threw up the next second- all over the pool deck. Ugh. Poor thing. I ran to the locker room for towels and was able to clean it all up pretty easily. She calmed down but was still insistent that swimming lessons were not on her agenda after Sully took his turn. Brainstorming, I decided to encourage her to sit on the edge with me and put her feet in. I was hoping her love for water and swimming excitement would overshadow her nerves. It worked. Before I knew it, she was in the water (5ft) swimming between my legs and her normal silly self. She pushed back, just out of my reach and sank to the bottom, pushed off and came up for air and went back under. She was just under the water and was stuck...she opened her eyes as wide as possible and looked at me, the loudest scream for help that wasn't even a scream, just a look. I reached for her and she was too far away and the next thing I knew, I was going in. Fully clothed. I was soaked from my hair down. I grabbed her and we both got out, I was in slight disbelief as to how it all happened. No one else in the pool had any idea, it may have even been graceful, I don't know, but I've replayed it in my mind one million times since then. As you could imagine, swimming lessons were definitely not on her agenda after that.
Sully wrapped things up and did so so good, he was excited and had so much fun and it was Greta's turn. She was adamant about not taking a turn, but after diving for some toys and letting her steer the boat, she was in and off with Karen. Phew! I sat for another 30 minutes dripping in a towel before it was all over.
Much to their delight, they get to learn the 'froggy stroke' this week and both are thrilled (fingers crossed it is a much less eventful evening :)). Never a dull moment around here!
| Sully- post swim. |
| Greta- the master kicker, having so much fun. |
No comments:
Post a Comment