We started Sully on solid foods shortly after his 6 month birthday. We were excited at the new phase in his life, but sad that it meant he was actually growing up. We dove in, rice cereal first; we failed miserably. He hated it, we hated the mess. But we hung in there, I dug out my baby food maker and started, our freezer was full of veggies and fruits. My weekend ritual became steaming (and accidentally steaming off the finish of one of my cabinets, but Im saving so much money by making my own food... you get where I'm going with this) and processing baby food. Carrots, green beans, apples, sweet potatoes, squash, cantaloupe, peas, etc. I was on a roll, however, Sully hated everything we put into his mouth. Mealtime was a nightmare, Dave and I would divvy it up, not allowing the other to have to endure the tears more than once per day. I was insistent that Sully at lease sit in his chair for meals, three times per day, he needed to at least get the routine down. Some days we would manage a spoon tip full, other days (like his first intro to peaches) he would suck the spoon dry. Much to our dismay, the excitement of new food quickly wore off and the tears would come back.
One afternoon, I was pulling out more frozen foods (to basically waste after failed feeding attempts) and I saw an avocado hiding behind the peas and green beans. I thought, what the heck, maybe he will like it. I remembered reading about an avocado/banana concoction that babies sometimes liked, so I gave it a whirl. Im still excited by what followed. Sully ate and ate and ate. I had been so accustomed to him not eating and not wanting to waste, that his portion sizes were miniscule. I went back to the kitchen numerous times to get more. He loved it. I started to mix avocado with everything, and it worked. Avocado/apple, avocado/squash, avocado/carrot, etc. We have finally started to wean him from avocado and get him to eat plain foods, but in my opinion, its a miracle food, and will definitely be a Sully staple.
 |
| Mmmm, more avocado, please! |
 |
| Post meal, pre tubby. |
 |
| Is there something on my face? |
No comments:
Post a Comment